My photo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
An illustrator and games artist living and working in Scotland. I have various hobbies: coding, travel, art and games; and I enjoy writing about them.

26 October 2011

Model Finished!

That is said in the broadest of terms. The modelling part is finished. There is still the unwrapping and fixing the thousands of topology mistakes. However, I downloaded a penguin model from the internet, to study the topology and UV maps and HECK! I definitely feel ahead of the game.

I mean, really. And then I opened up the UV editor...

No further comments.

Anyway, let's have a look at my model.

I'm quite proud about that one. First proper 3D model that doesn't have any horrendous mistakes and crazy n-gons. Thanks to Adam and Darren for their advice!

The feet are a little bit broken, but I hope to fix it in the nearest future.

That's what we did in class yesterday. Rigging wasn't as scary as I'd imagined! Yet anyway.

Wheeeee! Happy headless penguin! The distortion isn't bad apart from a few places. Like for example it can't put his arms down yet, but again, that's gonna be fixed.

It was time to model the face! Truth be told, I avoided it as much as possible.

Firstly I looked at some examples of good and bad topology. Eventually I had one good image to work with.

Very useful.

The process has begun!!

And finally...

So there you go. As you can see the topology is far from perfect but I'd say it was a damn good attempt! The worst bit was when I tried to sew the head unto the shoulders. It simply didn't have enough vertices, so I had to add some and that pretty much broke it. Next week we'll fix it, promise!

In other news, I wrote the ten story beats for the animation. Here they are:

  1. Petrovich is walking down a corridor. His environment is sleek and high tech. He is reading the spec sheet for his new space ship.
  2. Petrovich: She is beautiful… Verteron Gravimentric Matrix, Second generation FTL engines, Modulated Superficial Field, 15 Magnetic Neutrino Accelerators, 10 Giga-Watt EM Singularity Lances and Atmospheric System Emission life support system. She is perfect.
  3. The blast doors open and the camera pans over into a huge hangar room where in the middle we see an old, battered, rusty space ship. It is contrasting strongly with its high tech environment and looks completely out of place.
  4. A part of the ship’s hull falls off clanking on the floor.
I've even modelled the environment!

As you can see, quite a busy week for Advanced Visualisation :)

Now onto Screenwriting.

To start with, as you may or may not remember, I had a huge, feature film sized idea. It proved too impractical and therefore I scaled down. Here are the story beats for a shorter idea.

  • A hunter sits down to have his lunch in the forest.
  • A curious creature approaches him sees the dead rabbits, grabs them and shoots off.
  • The hunter chases it through the woods because loss of food for tonight means starvation.
  • The fay leads him into the entrance to the magical kingdom where there is constant feasting and drinking
  • The man drinks and feasts for three days, finally realising that it’s time to go
  • When the hunter returns home he finds that he’s been missing for 10 years, his wife is remarried, his children are grown up and don’t remember him.
  • The man tries to find the way back into the magical kingdom and after months of wandering eventually does
  • The kingdom isn't the happy, cheery place he remembers. The king gives him some ceremonial wine and orders to slaughter some pigs for the feast.
  • The hunter goes out and comes by a small village he doesn’t know. There are pigs on an abandoned farm that he slaughters and puts in his bag.
  • Upon the arrival in the fay kingdom he opens the bag to find mangled remains of his wife and his children, whom he, himself killed.
Oh I can't wait to start doing story boards for these! Imagine Mike Mignola doing this and you'll see where my excitement comes from. To quote the great man who worked on numerous comics, films and animations:

"All I wanted to do as a kid was draw monsters"

Now for the group project. It's been two weeks now and we have a general idea we're all excited about. Chunk's brief said, "what is not seen" and we're playing with that idea. After some brainstorming we came up with an idea that you can put on different masks to see the world differently. For example some terrain can only be seen in green spectrum and some enemies only in red. We also really like the idea of tribal masks. Here are some concept drawings I did.

The timings for the sketches above go something like: 30min, 5min, 5min. I have to say practising digital painting and all those tutorials online is definitely paying off!

There is one more painting I did this week. Hope you like it.

I almost didn't post this one because it got absolutely ripped to pieces on, so I felt a bit self concious. But then I decided to post it anyway. Everything must be documented, not only the good bits.

Have a good week everyone!