My photo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
An illustrator and games artist living and working in Scotland. I have various hobbies: coding, travel, art and games; and I enjoy writing about them.

22 February 2012

Digital Life Drawing and Other Stuff (NSFW - Nudity)

Today I went to a life drawing class equipped only with my laptop, photoshop and a graphics tablet. It was great fun. Not only I had a chance to improve my digital painting skills, but I was also forced to look at colour and value. I don't think there is another medium in which it is possible to switch so seamlessly between colours. The closest analogy I can come up with is going in with a premixed palette of oil paints. Another benefit is the speed digital painting gives you. While others drew lines on the bits of paper I was quickly throwing down values and by the time others caught up I was already polishing the final result. Obviously there isn't an awful lot you can do in 5-10 minutes, but still, the ease and the speed startled me.

Here's what I've done. Hopefully it'll get better in quality as the year progresses.

The first attempt. 5min.

The second attempt. 5min.

5min.

10min.

10min


Fist attempt at colour. 20min.

Decided against using colour. 20min.

So what was that. I'm pretty sure people have done something similar in the past, but I still can't get over how awesome it was. Plus, in all fairness, young and attractive models are infinitely more interesting to paint than some dude's crotch (which was the case last time I went).

Let's move onto animation. We finally have a script and even a bit of concept art. We went scouting for a set and found an amazing abandoned warehouse in the hear of Dundee. Just across the road from Pizza Hut Delivery. Here's a manipulated picture of it.

Image is from Google Maps (as you can see in the bottom right corner) and the sky is stock, also from Google.

I've also been looking into Maya Dynamics to simulate fire, smoke and dust. It doesn't look too great at the moment, but this is my first go, so bare with me.

More stuff to come!

Peace :)