My photo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
An illustrator and games artist living and working in Scotland. I have various hobbies: coding, travel, art and games; and I enjoy writing about them.

27 November 2012

Value Sketch

My deepest apologies for not posting in a while - my schedule is as hectic as it gets. In a mad rush to pass my motorcycle test before the 18th of January, write up the project proposal, organise things for a trip to Lithuania, paint concept art for Make Something Unreal Live, pass a car test and somehow pay the bills and get more than 4 hours of sleep a night. It's a careful balancing act, which requires discipline and determination, but I'm getting there.


This value sketch is from a live demo I did for some folks. Okay, okay, I'm not good enough yet to do live demos for folks. But I did doodle it in real time on a large screen at one of the dev meetings for our Unreal Challenge group. However, everything is related, and this serves as a perfect example for concept development for my honours project.

Let's analyse.

This image depicts a hostile landscape of sharp, spikes growing from the ground. The focal point if a mysterious structure that is lit up by a bright, yet soft light. The sky is a dark colour, suggesting night time or heavy overcast. The spikes seem to be natural and made of stone. The composition is simple. The spikes frame the focal structure nicely, thus attracting the viewer's eye to it. The artist achieved the feeling of hostility by using sharp, jagged shapes for rocks. There is also a feeling of mystery, the viewer's eye is drawn to the focal point, which is considerably lighter than the rest of the composition and is framed by the rocks, as mentioned above. A sense of space is achieved by the use of aerial perspective. We know that things get lighter as they get further away from us, the features also become muted and contrast lessens. The composition conveys a feeling of solidity. When creating the piece a few references were used, mainly for the rock texture, deserted landscapes and how light reflects off stone. Reference for the sky was also used. When colouring and refining the sketch dark grey, reds and oranges will be used to create an illusion of a charred, burnt out environment. The sense of space is achieved through overlapping layers of stone. Some elements are hidden behind others, thus creating depth.

In my sketchbook I've also been exploring slavic patterns and trying to analyse them. Thus far I established that florar patterns are dominant. However more precise, geometric patterns resembling arabic culture are also present. More on that in another post (once I get to a scanner).

Thanks for reading and keep in mind that upcoming interview with Jon Hodgson!