My photo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
An illustrator and games artist living and working in Scotland. I have various hobbies: coding, travel, art and games; and I enjoy writing about them.

15 February 2013

Case Study: Tank Girl

So a few days I got a book, the Hole of Tank Girl. I'm quite chuffed to get my hands on it because, trust me, it is a beautiful collection of every single Tank Girl comic ever written, as well as sketches and designs from the film. As you might've guessed it, the book itself is HUGE and weighs a tonne. This is how I always imagined ancient tomes of Lore to look like.

Right from the beginning (a quarter of a century ago, at an art college in a medium sized seaside town on the south coast of England, to quote the book) Tank Girl was a huge hit. The quirky, gun slinging, kangaroo shagging, smoking, drinking tomboy in a tank won everyone over and soon caught the attention of Hollywood. That idea crashed spectacularly, but that is irrelevant.

The reason I chose to write about Tank Girl is because of the stylistic and aesthetic choices the artist made to make it such a unique character. Jamie Hewlet mentions that he was extremely inspired by the Monkees and their "vertically-challenged, tambourine bashing" front man. There are elements of punk and grunge present in character design and the overwhelming sensory apocalypse that is every single panel. This points to some serious amount of visual research and extreme fine knowledge of the genre.

If you never read any tank girl, go and do it right now. This comic is just on the right level of crazy, off the wall, sensory weirdness and awesomeness to make you want more. Definitely on the top of the list for me along with Judge Dredd and Hellboy.

Peace!