My photo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
An illustrator and games artist living and working in Scotland. I have various hobbies: coding, travel, art and games; and I enjoy writing about them.

10 March 2013

Baba Yaga's Swamp Speed Painting

A very hasty, initial sketch of the Baba Yaga's hut simply to establish general mood and character. I was envisioning something more grand and impressive than a simple hut in the forest, but sometimes less is more.


As Mike Yamada said in Skillful Huntsman, these initial sketches are important to get all the cliches out of your head. This image is what appears in my mind when I hear "Baba Yaga's hut", so it is extremely useful to get it out of my system.

I also used this exercise to explore the possibilities that become available when using non standard composition methods. Instead of normal rule of thirds I used the Golden Ratio, or the Fibonacci spiral. Here it is in action.



Although I hate putting my work next to other people's, because usually mine is more rushed and unfinished. Here are the images I used as inspiration and reference.







I'm going to call it a night at this point.

Here is a list of tasks for next week: Do as many sketches of the witch and the Sun's sister as possible. Prepare for Crit. Also, tomorrow I am supervising a crit session for some of the first years. Should be interesting. It's quite depressing that some of those guys are starting to get pretty good!