My photo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
An illustrator and games artist living and working in Scotland. I have various hobbies: coding, travel, art and games; and I enjoy writing about them.

3 May 2013

Baba Yaga Colour

The finished Baba Yaga concept. A great artist, Aaron B Miller gave me a few great tips of creating photoshop colour layers set to Overlay. It is a quick and efficient way of colourising value paintings quickly. Even though I usually found this process slightly awkward I decided to get out of my comfort zone and give it a shot. Turns out it's actually pretty awesome! So huge thanks again to Aaron for his help and here's the final Baba Yaga concept. As with the previous examples, it's getting a bit rough now due to me rushing slightly, but as Jon Hodgson said in his interview, it's all to do with internal consistency. If the painting has that it can be as rough as you want, and it'll still read. I'm paraphrasing here.