My photo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
An illustrator and games artist living and working in Scotland. I have various hobbies: coding, travel, art and games; and I enjoy writing about them.

6 January 2014

Watching Shaddy Safadi's Tutorials

Following a great session by Wojtek Fus and Darek Zabrocki I picked up a great series of tutorials by Shaddy Safadi on YouTube and spent an hour and a half following them.

His process is a very interesting one but I won't go into the details of it here. If you want to check it out, and you should, go and watch them yourself. Below are my results.

Starting off with a nice landscape to copy and a painting by the awesome Jamie Jones whose style I want to study.



Then looking at the mountain start blocking out the main shapes. Shaddy simplifies the shapes into their "essence", which is the basic of forms, and then adds interest by adding small detail.


He then starts filling these shapes in with ridiculous colours. This is done to create vibrance in the underpainting when these colours ultimately do show through in places.


Then we start adding highlights and detail using layer masks. Painting the mask directly.

Finally you fill in the gaps using local colour. Because of the layer masks you can add detail into the shadow parts without worrying about messing up the highlights. This creates nice crisp edges, which is always nice. Then plop some environmental effects the blend things together and voila! You get a nice, crisp edged, painting. I'm liking this method a lot, so I'm going to do a proper painting using this technique in the near future and we'll see how it goes.

Peace.